Monday, September 15, 2008

What I didn't know about bottled waters

I almost spilled my water out of my nose after reading (a) and (b).

I had resorted to drinking bottled waters whenever I go outside the house mainly due to their companies' extensive publicity of purity by showing super clean and cool glaciers and ultra-clean mountain springs. I cannot imagine myself drinking tap water. I feel like I'm drinking from the toilet. Why will I not think that way? How clean are the pipes that the tap water goes through? How long have they been there? What if the pipe has a leak? Aaaaah!

But do you know that the bottled water sold in the United States is not necessarily cleaner and safer than most tap waters? That is according to the 4-year study made by NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council). That is already in the US. How much in countries whose efforts in testing and purity standards of bottled waters are lesser (like mine)?

Here are some comparison points between tap water and bottled water according to Community Water Company of Green Valley.

But I am more concerned with the 'cleanness' of tap water and so prefer bottled water. But the following study findings by the NRDC shocked the water out of me (esp. a and b):

  1. Approximately ¼ of bottled water are actually bottled tap water.

  2. FDA rules permit bottlers to label their products as “spring water” when actually it was just pumped out from a well and may be treated with chemicals.

  3. The actual source of of water in bottled waters is not always clearly stated. And so in 1995, the FDA issued rules on labeling to prevent deceptive claims; however, this did not solve the problem. Here are some intriguing labels NRDC had noted:

(a) “Spring Water” -- actually taken from an industrial parking lot beside a hazardous waste site

(b) Alasika -- "Alaska Premium Glacier Drinking Water: Pure Glacier Water from the Last Unpolluted Frontier, Bacteria Free" -- Apparently came from a public water supply. Since after the FDA intervened, this label has been changed.

(c) Vals Water -- "Known to Generations in France for its Purity and Agreeable Contributuon to Health...Reputed to Help Restore Energy, Vitality, and Combat Fatigue" -- The International Bottled Water Association voluntary code prohibits health claims, but some bottlers still make such claims.

Here is another thing. According to Minnesota Department of Health, tap water may seem to look or taste differently but it doesn't mean that it's unsafe. Actually, the most fatal contaminants are those that we cannot see, smell or taste.

Another concern is the fluoride found in tap water. Flouride helps strengthen our teeth and prevent tooth decay. Most purified bottled waters have no fluoride because of the reverse osmosis or distallation which can remove fluoride so I need to inform my dentist if I'm mainly using bottled water.

So my dear friends, instead of buying bottled waters, why not just purify at home. There are a lot of companies that sell reliable filtration systems. Key is in maintaining it well because negligence in this part can cause the bacteria or other contaminants grow in those filters. If I'm going out, I take my empty bottle, rinse it completely and fill it with my 'home purified' tap water. Sometimes I taste the chlorine thing so I just let my bottle stay in the refirgerator for 8 hours, at least, and hola! The chlorine taste vanishes.


(Click here for the image source)

Sources:

No comments: