Saturday, September 20, 2008

What really is the truth about eggs?

Click here for the image source

I got so baffled by this 'egg' thing. All the while I thought eating lots of eggs can do you good. I have a friend undergoing body building whose trainor adviced him to take 7 eggs a day to help him build muscles. So I tried googling for 'truth about eggs'  from university sites and one article hit the nail right on the head. I come across a pdf version of the August 2004 issue of NOAHNET Wellness (Nutrition for Older Adults' Health) from The University of Georgia, Athens.  It directly answered my question 'What is the truth about eggs?' I learned that eggs are excellent sources of B vitamins, iron, protein and other nutrients. Egg yolks are very high cholesterol! Well, eggs are not the only source of cholesterol. There are foods without cholesterol that can increase our blood cholesterol like those with saturated and trans-fats. The American Heart Association recommends a daily dietary cholesterol intake to 300mg. Here's the big blow: one large egg has approximately 213mg of cholesterol! This means that if I eat an egg in a day, I must skip meats in other meals and go for a vegan dish. This way, I could keep my intake of cholesterol in a day well below 300mg. I can also constrain myself to 3 to 4 eggs per week. 

No comments: